Jazz 4 Kids helps students understand sets and sequence by establishing the structure of the 12-bar blues form and the lyric form of a blues poem. The residency program features standard jazz repertoire and the blues but is best when it includes the students' involvement in composing and performing their own music with the band.
The quintet includes:
Lisa Clark, Vocalist
- has been singing since the age of five, had her first professional gig at 14, and has been teaching for over 15 years. Lisa has studied with a list of teachers ranging from local legends Hank Marr and Michelle Horsefield-Carney to national recording artist and vocal instructor Kim Nazarian of the New York Voices. Lisa currently performs around central Ohio as a solo artist, with Vocal Impact, and with the Erik Augis Trio. She is also active as a performer, co-founder, and leader of Jazz 4 Kids. Lisa has performed with various groups including the Nelson Riddle Orchestra and the Columbus Symphony. Lisa's first solo CD, Girl Blue
, has received national radio airplay. Lisa has had the joy of teaching many of central Ohio's finest vocalists.
Reggie Jackson, Drums
- a Columbus native, is a graduate of both Columbus Alternative High School and The Ohio State University. While earning a B.A. in music performance, the drummer performed at several jazz and music festivals with artists such as George Howard, Ramsey Lewis, and Herbie Hancock. Since graduation Reggie has toured all over Europe, South Africa, South America and has performed on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Currently he is working with Grammy award winning jazz singer Diane Schuur.
Kristopher D. Keith, Flutist/Saxophonist
- also a co-founder of Jazz 4 Kids, has made a name for himself in Ohio performing with many bands representing a wide range of musical styles from Cuban to Brazilian, from original jazz to traditional big band, from Motown and R&B to funk and modern rock. After serving with the 283rd Army Band in Ft. Benning, Georgia, he attended the Ohio State University and received degrees in both classical flute performance and jazz studies. His abilities as a woodwind doubler and his wide range of performance experience have placed him in high demand as a studio-recording artist for radio and television as well as for various Columbus Broadway Series performances.
Erik Augis, Keyboardist
- is a Columbus native and a graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Music. He has had a variety of private instructors including Hank Marr. He enjoys playing many different styles of music, and works as a solo artist and with a variety of musicians throughout the Central Ohio area. Erik also enjoys teaching and has been involved with Jazz 4 Kids for several years.
Larry Cook, Bassist
- is a native of Cambridge, Ohio, and a recent graduate of Capital University. Larry earned his Bachelor of Music degree in Jazz Studies in 2004 after studying with Lou Fischer and Mark Morton. Larry is now active in the Central Ohio area as a performer, and is employed in the office of the Jazz Arts Group as music librarian and copyist.